Senior Software Developer
- Great opportunity to join a growing technology organization
- Use your extensive software development experience to build smart grid applications
- Be rewarded with a competitive salary, flexible benefits and a unique company culture
About our company:
In a world where global warming, rolling blackouts, rising energy prices and an aging, frequently malfunctioning distribution system are front page news, Tantalus works with electric, water and gas energy providers to improve resource efficiency, deliver reliable service, and streamline operations. We give utilities the tools and information they need to engage consumers in ongoing conservation efforts, and also provide the backbone technology that makes these programs successful.
The Tantalus Utility Network, TUNet®, is an award-winning end-to-end communications and applications system that enables utilities to automate processes, improve business operations and deliver top-tier customer service. Our real-time, self-healing, two-way communications network, combines WAN / LAN / Grid Edge components to create a platform that is fast, reliable, scalable, and easy to deploy. TUNet® enables utilities to automatically collect interval consumption data, precisely monitor power quality, as well as instantly detect outages and verify restorations. Furthermore, TUNet® is a platform designed to support emerging applications such as IoT-based edge computing, which will ultimately contribute to the Smart Grid of the future.
For more information about Tantalus and TUNet®, please visit our website.
About the job opportunity:
The Senior Software Developer works in a cross-functional agile team to develop smart grid applications spanning Linux-based servers and embedded devices on a wireless network.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this dynamic role are, but not limited to:
- Design and develop smart grid wireless metering applications
- Design and develop large-scale network-distributed applications for smart grid monitoring and management, from both enterprise server-side application software to embedded device firmware
- Design and develop back end applications and interfaces to continuously process and store large amounts of data 24/7
- Lead the design, coding and testing of applications in an agile team
- Mentor junior team members
- Take the lead in defining and implementing development best practices
Success in this position requires a university degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar program, and 5+ years of experience with developing in C or Linux. Additionally, candidates must be able to demonstrate experience with either embedded Linux in small form-factor devices, or server Linux applications with large data management back ends.
Familiarity or experience with any of the following are additional assets:
- Distributed SCADA systems
- Large-scale sensor networks for electric, water and/or gas industries
- Distribution Automation (DA) systems
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Enterprise Wide Area Networks (WANs)
Our ideal candidate will have a proven record of developing and delivering applications for high-reliability, critical systems in a wireless and distributed application environment. You thrive in an environment that allows you to carry a design task from concept development through to final commercial product release.
As a Senior Software Developer, it is important that you are a curious and driven problem-solver with notable leadership and teamwork skills, specifically in design, development, documentation, and unit testing.
You are self-motivated and results-focused with demonstrated ability to multi-task without compromising quality. Through it all, you demonstrate a great sense of humor and ability to have some fun along the way.
About the benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary, you will also receive:
- Comprehensive benefit plan, including flexible health spending account;
- Travel insurance;
- Life and disability insurance;
- MSP coverage;
- Paid parking space or reimbursement for monthly transit passes;
- 3 weeks' annual vacation; and
- Opportunities for paid professional development and training.
Best of all, you will receive these benefits upon commencement of employment!
About our culture:
Tantalus culture is built on hard work, respect and cooperation. Throughout the development process, our team enjoys iterating, collaborating and learning. We are developers, engineers, testers, technicians, and inventors. We are a group of critical thinkers with a proven track record in delivering great products and applications.
Our modern office, centrally located in the heart of Burnaby, provides our team with a collaborative, social and engaging work environment. With a games room, fitness facility and various social activities, we encourage our team to interact, learn and grow with each other on a daily basis.
We are looking for people who share: our commitment to getting the job done, and our belief that perfection should never get in the way of progress.
Now is the perfect time to join the Tantalus team which is in an exciting period of significant growth. Apply Now!