TALENT POOL - Field System Engineer
Various, Mainland USA
Over the next 12-24 months we anticipate growth of our Field Project Management team. This could be your opportunity to:
- Join a growing technology organization in a unique industry and domain
- Work with utilities to optimize their communication and application network
- Experience a strong culture of camaraderie while tackling challenging projects
About our company
In a world where global warming, rolling blackouts, rising energy prices and an aging, frequently malfunctioning distribution system are front page news, Tantalus works with electric, water and gas energy providers to improve resource efficiency, deliver reliable service, and streamline operations. We give utilities the tools and information they need to engage consumers in ongoing conservation efforts, and also provide the backbone technology that makes these programs successful.
The Tantalus Utility Network, TUNet®, is an award-winning end-to-end communication and application system that enables utilities to automate processes, improve business operations and deliver top-tier customer service. Our real-time, self-healing, two-way communications network, combines WAN / LAN / Grid Edge components to create a platform that is fast, reliable, scalable, and easy to deploy. TUNet® enables utilities to automatically collect interval consumption data, precisely monitor power quality, as well as instantly detect outages and verify restorations. Furthermore, TUNet® is a platform designed to support emerging applications such as IoT-based edge computing, which will ultimately contribute to the Smart Grid of the future.
For more information about Tantalus and TUNet®, please visit our website.
About the opportunity
As a member of our Customer Operations team, you will support our project managers by providing on-site technical expertise in the installation and deployment of the TUNet solution, while ensuring Tantalus meets or exceeds customer expectations.
Our Field System Engineers are committed to providing high-quality on-site technical set-up for multi-faceted wireless communication projects that typically include server, enterprise software, software integration, RF modules, and other hardware components.
Specifically, your duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and oversee all onsite technical set-up including site surveys, installation, configuration, RF tower commissioning, and other associated details
- Support customers in solving complex product problems during the installation process
- Work with internal departments such as Manufacturing, Sales and Marketing to coordinate product deliveries and communicate customer requirements
- Oversight of 3rd party contractor personnel, their duties, and the quality of their work
To qualify for the role, you must have:
- A Bachelor's degree in either Computer or Electrical Engineering, or other related field;
- 5+ years’ experience involving direct customer interaction and support;
- 5+ years’ experience in large network implementations;
- Command-line experience in either Linux or Unix, and ability to write SQL queries to Oracle and SQL databases;
- Hands-on experience with test equipment such as network-, spectrum-, and vector-analyzers, etc.
This role will perfectly suit a self-motivated and results-focused individual who has the ability to work with a multi-disciplinary team.
Preference will be given to candidates who also have hands-on experience in any of the following:
- AMI/AMR, RF or Wireless communications;
- Implementing and integrating information systems;
- Implementing or operating large telemetry, control, or communications systems;
- Deploying communications equipment and networks.
Lastly, strong attention to detail is essential, as is the proven ability to trouble-shoot and make sound decisions. Ultimately, your success in this role will be determined by your ability to meet long-term project objectives.
Please note that this role requires travel up to 75% of the time.
If this sounds like a position you would enjoy, please read on to see what Tantalus can offer you!
About our culture
Tantalus culture is built on hard work, respect and cooperation. Although regionally located, this team has excelled at building a strong, collaborative and supportive team. Through regular team meetings and opportunities to connect in person, this team enjoys spending time together, laughing, and helping each other get a job done well.
We are looking for people who share: our commitment to getting the job done, and our belief that perfection should never get in the way of progress.
About the benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, you will also receive:
- 80/20 benefit coverage, including paramedicals, prescriptions and dental;
- Life and disability insurance;
- Stock options;
- Cell phone and laptop;
- Mileage reimbursement;
- 3 weeks' annual vacation; and
- Opportunities for paid professional development and training.
Best of all, you will receive these benefits upon commencement of employment!
If you want to work on exciting projects with some of the best in the business, don't let this exceptional opportunity pass you by. Apply Now!