Senior Platform Developer
- Great opportunity to join a growing smart grid technology organization
- Apply your Linux platform development experience in a real-time wireless domain
- Be rewarded with a competitive salary, flexible benefits and a unique company culture
About our company
In a world where global warming, rolling blackouts, rising energy prices and an aging, frequently malfunctioning distribution system are front page news, Tantalus works with electric, water and gas energy providers to improve resource efficiency, deliver reliable service, and streamline operations. We give utilities the tools and information they need to engage consumers in ongoing conservation efforts, and also provide the backbone technology that makes these programs successful.
The Tantalus Utility Network, TUNet®, is an award-winning end-to-end communications and applications system that enables utilities to automate processes, improve business operations and deliver top-tier customer service. Our real-time, self-healing, two-way communications network, combines WAN / LAN / Grid Edge components to create a platform that is fast, reliable, scalable, and easy to deploy. TUNet® enables utilities to automatically collect interval consumption data, precisely monitor power quality, as well as instantly detect outages and verify restorations. Furthermore, TUNet® is a platform designed to support emerging applications such as IoT-based edge computing, which will ultimately contribute to the Smart Grid of the future.
For more information about Tantalus and TUNet®, please visit our website.
About our culture
Tantalus culture is built on hard work, respect and cooperation. Throughout the development process, our team enjoys iterating, collaborating and learning. We are developers, engineers, testers, technicians, and inventors. We are a group of critical thinkers with a proven track record in delivering great products and applications.
Our modern office, centrally located in the heart of Burnaby, provides our team with a collaborative, social and engaging work environment. With a games room, fitness facility and various social activities, we encourage our team to interact, learn and grow with each other on a daily basis.
We are looking for people who share: our commitment to getting the job done, and our belief that perfection should never get in the way of progress.
About the opportunity
Tantalus is seeking a Senior Embedded Linux Platform Developer to join our product development team. This team is responsible for the development and evolution of our unique wireless networking solutions used in a diverse range of Smart Grid deployments.
In this role, you will join a rapidly accelerating company with bright, hard-working individuals who are committed to delivering continued innovation to the utility marketplace through our TUNet smart grid communications solution.
- Embedded Linux platform: operating system, remote upgrades, boot loader, drivers and libraries
- Design, development and testing of distributed applications and real-time wireless communication software
- Development of network level protocols
- Contribute to production deployment of our products at scale, by establishing effective testing and troubleshooting procedures for the firmware
- Contribute to the design of the next generation of solutions
- Mentor junior team members
What you need to be a successful candidate:
- B.A.Sc. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- 5+ years' work experience in firmware design for real time embedded systems
- 3+ years' work experience in a Linux environment
- Experience bringing up a new Linux platform, and addressing issues with custom drivers boot-loaders, and low-level board support issues
- Full product lifecycle experience including requirements analysis, debugging, unit test, integration, and final release validation activities, as well as enhancing and maintaining existing products
- Demonstrated success in working with an agile environment, delivering complex embedded solutions, effectively translating market requirements into simple technical implementations
- Experience with large source code control systems
- Experience with relevant firmware development and build tools, and firmware development processes
- Experience with Linux platform support for software and libraries
- A strong bias towards test driven development and experience with ensuring quality through automated testing
Additional assets and/or learning opportunities include:
- Work with wireless protocols at the physical, data link and network layers
- Programming ARM7 and ARM 9 based processors
- Interpret hardware designs and understand hardware and manufacturing test requirements
- Development of fault tolerant real-time communications
About the Benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, you will also receive:
- Comprehensive extended health and dental coverage, including a health spending account;
- Life and disability insurance;
- Travel insurance;
- MSP coverage;
- Your choice of paid parking space or transit reimbursement;
- 3 weeks' annual vacation; and
- Opportunities for paid professional development and training.
Best of all, you will receive these benefits upon commencement of employment!
Now is the perfect time to join the Tantalus team which is in an exciting period of significant growth. Apply Now!